Today we rode a total of 66.3 miles in 5 hours 22 mins gaining 7,524ft elevation from Muinga to Kayanza so needless to say some very challenging hilly sections. As always, the day was filled with stunning scenery over the mountains, and some great fast downhill stretches.
To be honest, I have really struggled today physically, emotionally, and mentally. I didn't think I would as today was nowhere near as challenging as our hilly day 2 ride. I think it's mainly been due to my back, which has become a little worse today as well as absolute exhaustion after 5 consecutive days riding, so far covering a total of 300 miles!! I think as it stands, it is sensible for me not to take part in the beginning of day 6 to prevent things getting worse, and muscles getting more tired and fatigued. I hope though to be able to complete most of tomorrow's ride along with all of day 7.
Simon's dad, David Guillebaud is hoping to join us on day 7 for the ride home back into Bujumbura where we started at the beginning of the tour. This is amazing news, and we'll all be happy to have him on the last day, as he's been ill and unable to join us the rest of the time having trained for about 9 months specifically for this.
You can still view my stats of all the rides on Strava if you want to: click HERE
Very much looking forward to the achievement of finishing this ride, and having some time with Hannah for a few days following the ride before going back to Gitega to start work again
Andy
No comments:
Post a Comment